Modern day Sparta, capital of the prefecture of Lakonia, lies on the eastern foothills of Mount Taygetos in the Evrotas River valley. The city has been built upon the site of ancient Sparta. The lush, fertile plain surrounding Sparta is home to olive and citrus groves, thickets of mulberry and other trees. To the southwest stands Mt. Taygetos with its towering peaks and wild beauty. To the east of the city stands the Parnonas mountain range, which is forested predominantly with Greek fir trees and other pines.
The origins of modern Sparta date back to October 20, 1834, when King Otto issued a decree on the construction of the new city. Bavarians city planners, headed by Fr. Stauffert, designed a city of 100,000 inhabitants based on the neo-classical architectural model.
Today Sparta maintains its good design, boasting large squares and wide streets lined with trees, while many of the older buildings remain in excellent condition. The city of Sparta is the economic, administrative and cultural center of Lakonia. A key factor in the advancement of the city’s development is the operation of two departments of the University of Peloponnese and a department of the Technological Educational Institute.
Visitors are always highly impressed by the centrally-located main square which is dominated by the most imposing neo-classical building in Sparta, the City Hall. Built in 1909, City Hall bears the signature of the Greek architect, G. Katsaros. With its glorious history and its proximity to Byzantine Mystras, the city of Sparta attracts the attention of many visitors, making it a prime tourist destination.
Due to its extensive and prominent history, the name Sparta is a world-renowned symbol of heroism and sacrifice balanced by a simple, austere way of life.