The municipal unit of Pellana is made up of the villages: Agio Konstantino, Agoriani, Alevrou, Vordonia, Georgitsi, Kastori, Logganikos, Pellana, Perivolia as well as 11 other surrounding communities.
Beginning our journey from Sparta, we first come to Vordonia, surrounded by hills scattered with little settlements. Here in Ano Hora (upper region), we find the Frankish castle that was destroyed in 1460 by Mohammed the Conqueror. The Church of Ypapanti (Presentation of Christ) in Oraho has icons by the artist A. Zografou. Other smaller churches have been preserved that exhibit magnificent icons. The manor houses of the Linardaki and Zografou families remain in good condition and can also be visited. The folk painter Panagiotis Zografos and his two sons produced paintings that depict the battles of Makriyannis. We continue to Kastori, formerly named Kastania. Worth a visit is the Monastery of Kastri, a convent dedicated to the Life-Giving Spirit, the cave of Ralia, the Church of Our Lady of Misosporitissa, the Kardaris Gorge, the springs of St. Mamas shaded with plane trees and the trout and salmon farm. In Kastori, there is also a lovely guesthouse open all year long. Continuing our journey we come to Perivolia, a small village with fertile soil, and next, we arrive in Pellana, an area where archaeological excavations have brought to light interesting discoveries from the Mycenaean era.
Continuing our ascent, we reach Alevrou with its beautiful country chapels and then the village of Georgitsi, ‘the balcony of Mt. Taygetos’ at an altitude of 900-1100 meters, to visit the Church of St. Demetrios, the Church of the Prophet Elias with hagiographies by the Kakkavos family, the Elementary School and the flour mills. At a distance of 12 km, we meet the village of Agoriani with its castle and the Church of St. Nicholas (1290-1300) which boast rare murals. To the east lies Agios Konstantinos. Finally we arrive in Logganiko at an altitude of 750. Here we find the Kotitsa settlement, dating back to the Byzantine era. This settlement was destroyed by the Turks after the Orlov Revolt. It is worth visiting the Churches of St. George, the Holy Apostles, the Assumption of the Virgin and St. Demetrios. The Frankish castle and the springs of the Evrotas River are also enticing. It is believed that Logganiko is the site of ancient Velemina which was mentioned by Pausanias.
The locals are mainly engaged in agriculture and livestock farming. Corn and alfalfa are grown and excellent honey is produced in the region. There is also a dairy cow farm.